When I think of some colleagues (both previous and current) I smile.
Not all, but the one’s I’m still in touch with a few years later. The ones that when we meet up it feels like old times. The ones that when I see them in the morning they make me smile. The best ones.
The best colleagues:
- Are honest. They tell it like it is and I know where I stand.
- Tell jokes. Who doesn’t like smiling?
- Get shit done. No faffing around. Action.
- Get the teas in (or coffee’s). What a great feeling it is when someone brings you a cuppa when you weren’t expecting it.
- Pay attention and listen. You ask a question, they stop what they are doing and look at you and answer the question.
- Are good at their job. This inherently builds respect and trust.
- Don’t take themselves or the job too seriously. They not only understand about work / life balance but actively seek it.
- Eat, drink and be merry. They would organize regular team lunches and after work drinks.
- Demonstrate integrity. They knew what they believed in and stood by those principles. If that meant standing up to a senior stakeholder, or even moving on to another company, so be it.
- Hug each other. Yep touching someone in the office can be appropriate, and a very caring and bonding act too.
To my favorite former colleagues I miss you and only hope that we work together again at some point in the future.
To my favorite current colleagues I hope I can have the same positive impact on someone else that you have on me.
In 2015 you still have 246 working days to be a freaking fantastic colleague by bringing the qualities of love, fun, hard work, energy and tea to others around you. Make it a great year!